The Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley are looking for an Event Assistant to join our teams in a shared capacity. We are a small but dynamic team and our organizational culture thrives on innovation and a spirit of entrepreneurialism. We challenge our team to come up with big ideas and be determined to champion them.
About Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley
Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley are provincial grower organizations that represent Alberta’s 14,000 wheat farmers and 11,000 barley farmers respectively. Both organizations invest in major program areas including research, communications and extension, market development and agriculture policy.
Our operating model
The Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley recently launched a unique staff operating model with one management team serving both organizations. The successful incumbent will work equally for both AWC and Alberta Barley, serving both the province’s wheat and barley farmers.
About the position
Our event and communications team work on the front lines of both Alberta Wheat and Barley with the goal of demonstrating return on investment for our farmer members. This includes coordinating a diverse range of events including regional meetings, the Prairie Cereals Summit and FarmTech.
This is a part-time role with a schedule of eight (8) hours per day for three days a week from for a total of 24 hours per week for the busy event season of October to end of January.
Reporting to the marketing and events coordinator and working collaboratively with the communications team, the event assistant will be responsible for the following:
- In collaboration with the marketing and events coordinator, establish solid working relationships within the team and other departments to ensure a cohesive working environment in regards to events.
- Provide support when needed leading up to an event day. This may include assisting with event preparation, communication with event organizers, gathering logistical details, booking various vendors, event setup, and administrative tasks.
- Ability to field and problem solve various last-minute event coordination challenges.
- Keep reports on successes and opportunities to improve future events.
- Other duties as required.
Skills and Qualifications
- Working on or completed post-secondary education – preference may be given to those pursuing post-secondary education in Event Management, Communications or related programs.
- 1-3 years relevant experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment
- Proficient with Microsoft products (Word, Excel, and Outlook), a working knowledge of word processing and database software.
- High attention to detail and the ability to take initiative.
- Ideal candidate has a sense of urgency to their responsibilities and professionalism, is ambitious, driven and sets a high standard for themselves.
Apply online at www.albertawheat.com or by sending a resume to Megan Hall, Marketing and Events Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
September 7, 2018